From: Geoff Deering [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 5:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [WSG] access keys and tab index

If find yourself in the accesskey bog, and you are trying to make your site
WAI-AAA compliant, I would do what the W3C did back in 1999 on the WAI home
page (http://www.w3.org/WAI/).

They had a WAI-AAA logo on their main page, but with all the links, the only
accesskey was a hidden "c" to access the Contents menu.  So if they are
setting the example, then just put an accesskey to "Skip navigation" or
whatever, then that seems good enough to meet this compliance check.

I know it is not promoting best of practice by our standards, but that was
the W3C WAI site back then, setting the example, so why not use something
simple like this if you are doing your best in all the other compliance
checks.

I say this because those who are making this much of an effort are making a
HUGE effort to make their pages as accessible as possible.

My point with Accessibility and Standards is always the ROI, and people on
this list, I feel, understand that.  But to be frank, the ROI (currently) in
accesskeys, has little ROI for the developer and user, except maybe for
forms, and used sparingly.

I do expect others to maybe do it better or smarter, because there is always
someone showing the way on how to do these things better.

Because they have become such an issue over the last year or so, and this
problem has been given more attention, maybe they will evolve in a less
muddle way.

Geoff