From: Justin French [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 19 August 2004 07:22
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [WSG] DOM setAttribute in IE?

Here's a function:

function helpLinks()
        {
        if(!document.getElementsByTagName) return;
        var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
        for (var i=0; i<anchors.length; i++)
                {
                var anchor = anchors[i];
                if (anchor.getAttribute("href") && anchor.getAttribute("rel") ==
"help")
                        {
                        anchor.setAttribute(
"onclick","window.open(this.href,'popupwindow','width=400,height=400,scr
ollbars,resizable'); return false;",0);
                        }
                }
        }

It works perfectly well in everything I can get my hands on except for
IE, where it fails to set the onclick event to all A elements with a
rel attribute of 'help'.

Changing anchor.setAttribute(...) to
anchor.setAttribute('target','_blank',0); DOES work (the link opens in
a new window), so it would appear that IE doesn't like setting onlick
attributes this way.

Can anyone either:
- suggest an alternate way to achieve this, or
- suggest a good mailing list to seek further help on (like a DOM list)

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004

the system manager.
www.mimesweeper.com