That is the question.

I'm not up with all the cases over the last few years, but there is a
community down in Florida that have taken a lot of commercial web sites to
court.  From memory, they had some wins, and then they started to get cases
dismissed.  I think they began to be seen as just perusing cases for the
sake of it.  I'm not saying that this is the case, but it seems to have been
part of the perception.

>From what I can gather from people working closely with the disability
section of the community, it is not the way they prefer to work to get
things changed and accomplished.  They would prefer to work with people to
change the approach without too much sabre rattling.  Changing designers
attitude to standards, like those on this list, is the way to success.

At the same time, my own personal opinion is that just about any of the
major corps are sitting ducks for anyone who wanted to sue them under this
legislation if they were providing an essential service.

If you go to the OZEWAI conferences, or the like, you will hear case after
case of how the internet has made life easier for people with disabilities.
They can now pay their bills online, order goods, and do many other things
from their PC that would have otherwise required them to physically go to
places to engage in purchases and do transactions.

Some corps have the best of intentions, yet still remain clueless.  Telstra
are a case in point.  Telstra put a lot of work into trying to make their
standard templates usable and accessible, but because their standards
department rely on poor tools like Bobby, they think their templates meet
WCAG P1 when they don't.  And if you are a Telstra contractor and try and
tell them that, don't be surprised to see a move to have your contract
terminated.

The people at Telstra Research Labs have a great understanding of usability
and accessibility, but these days their opinion is unfortunately not sought
as often as it should be, if it was, Telstra would have far more usable and
accessible sites.

So even though Telstra think they have all this covered, they don't, and
they could be sued.  If they where sued, they would probably be incredibly
surprised that such an action would happen.

Just to highlight another point.  Whilst I was on contract at Telstra, they
outsourced a redevelopment of their Intranet publishing system.  I was
involved in sessions for the design by the usability company, but when it
was finally produced and presented to a meeting of 450 Telstra developers
and managers, the main outsourced development company boosted that it
complied with WCAG P1 & P2 levels.  I could see, just by looking at the
interface that it didn't, and went up to the main team and told them it
didn't.  They assured me it did.  I told them it didn't.  To cut to the
chase, 6 months later I found myself in their office applying for a job as a
web developer to fix up this application that they had built for Telstra
under contract to comply with WCAG1 P1 & 2, and to fix it to meet this level
of requirement.

The point I am trying to make, is that in the large corporate, government,
and even EDU sectors, many of them think they have accessibility covered,
but they don't.  And a lot of this is because they rely on Bobby and it is
such a sub standard checking tool.  It's okay to use as a testing tools as
long as you know it's shortcomings.

I don't regard the people on this list in the same light at all.  People
here generally have a pretty good understanding of accessibility issues, and
if you are following the basic principles of web standards design, you have
most of this covered.

In this post I am just trying to make a few points; 1) That there is
probably a lot of opportunity to take corps to court, but the disability
community are more tolerant than liturguous.  2) Big corps are basically
pretty ignorant about accessibility (but this movement in design is probably
the best thing to begin changing that).

http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/#Australia
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/index.html
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/faq/f.a.q.html

___
Geoff Deering

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004