On Sunday, Aug 22, 2004, at 09:48 Australia/Sydney, Michael Kear wrote:

I was interested that the Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity
Commission uses tables for layout in their web site at:

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/index.html
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/faq/f.a.q.html

Cheers
Mike Kear

It's going to be interesting to see, over the coming months (years?), what happens with legislated accessibility here in Australia. I found out, in my limited experience in coding new content for Govt departments, how far away the majority of Govt sites are from being either accessible or Standards compliant.

There was a specs document supplied with the brief, referring to W3C, WAI, etc, but the exisiting site I added to was a *long* way short of the specs... Seems like some pretty shoddy lip service being paid to the whole concept, really. It was obvious the original developers had coded for IE/Win, and not tested elsewhere... I pointed this out in the tech handover of my additions, but nothing's been done - and that was almost a year ago.

Still, it's been gratifying to see posts to this list by people around the country who are working on Government sites, using standards for new versions. Keep it up, guys.

Nick
Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004