All code of every web page should be validated. Any errors need to be corrected. If your typo is in a tag, then it could produce undesirable results.
We should all make sure our code on every web page we create has no errors, whether simple typos or forgotten closing tags; whether we use HTML or XHTML.
If you live by this standard, then XHTML is a viable coding option.

Best,
Shane Helm