Paul, your CSS doesn't validate. This is failing:

div.sidebar {border-left: 1px solid #ccc; width: 200px; float: right; padding-left: 5px; padding-vertical-align:text-top;}
Error: Property padding-vertical-align doesn't exist : text-top

Remember to validate!

The problem with IE5 lies with your tables. If you strip out the tables, the problem goes away. In particular, the table that you have ID'd by <summary="content">. It has no declared width that I can see, in either markup or CSS - and in IE5 it's expanding to fit the available content, which puts its RH edge outside your layout box. Add a border to this table to see what it's doing.

Try laying out the page without the tables - it may seem more difficult, but trust me, you'll get better control in the long run.

HTH

Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/