Michael Kear wrote:
And also I was sure that SELECTED="selected" was correct, but apparently
not. Again I looked for the dinkum definition but couldn't find it.
Anyone know where it is?

Your syntax is correct, it's just a matter of case:

selected="selected" would be correct (lower case).

One of the most common validation snags (along with unencoded ampersands) is not making all attributes lowercase. It crops up a lot with JavaScript event handlers which have traditionally been written as "onClick" or "onLoad" instead of "onclick" or "onload" (which is why one of the positive side-effects to moving all event handlers out of the document altogether is fewer validation snags).

HTH,

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Keith