>If no fieldset is used for the individual questions, how does a
>screen reader associate the question with the radio group? The label
>will differentiate the options, but what about the questions?

Essentially it does not as their  is no  explicit structural association
between the radio buttons  and the question. while there is an implicit
association [they are within the same container element/ they are
contiguous visually and or in the reading order]
for the most part the screen reader only knows what you tell it through the
code.

>If fieldsets are nested, how does a screen reader handle the
>legends? Are they concatenated for each form control or is only the
>legend from the parent fieldset used?

using JAWS 4.51 the legends are not concatenated.

>It sounds like a long legend is a bad idea - correct?

I'd agree with this.

>In a page where there is only one form and one semantically linked
>set of form controls is a fieldset necessary/desirable?

I think while desirable it is not necessary, unless you have a radio button
or checkbox group.
But why not use the fieldset element to structure the form  instead of
putting in a div or some other container? remeber the legend is optional.

with regards

Steven Faulkner
Web Accessibility Consultant
National Information & Library Service (NILS)
454 Glenferrie Road
Kooyong Victoria 3144
Phone: (613) 9864 9281
Fax: (613) 9864 9210
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

National Information Library Service
A subsidiary of RBS.RVIB.VAF Ltd.

                      Damian Sweeney

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .edu.au>                 cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: [WSG] Help with fieldset
in a li
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      group.org

                      29/10/2004 10:29

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      wsg

Thanks to Susan, Steven and Roger for the replies so far.

A couple of questions for clarification:

* If no fieldset is used for the individual questions, how does a
screen reader associate the question with the radio group? The label
will differentiate the options, but what about the questions?
* It sounds like a long legend is a bad idea - correct?
* In a page where there is only one form and one semantically linked
set of form controls is a fieldset necessary/desirable?
* If fieldsets are nested, how does a screen reader handle the
legends? Are they concatenated for each form control or is only the
legend from the parent fieldset used?

Cheers,

Damian

--
Damian Sweeney
Instructional Designer, AIRport Project

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or
information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of
copyright. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of any part of
it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any
attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this
email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return
email or by phoning (03) 8344 9370.