> From: Natalie Buxton

> This discussion has finally convinced me that breadcrumb trails should
> not be marked up as lists.
>
> Without the entire path, it doesn't matter where the actual href goes.
>
> For instance: I tell a user that the file they want is in the folder
> "widgets". They go looking for their file in c:/widgets.
>
> Because I neglected to tell them that they need to look in
> c:/stuff/widgets they are left confused and wondering what happened.

Well, to me that reinforces the concept that ordered lists are appropriate.
Again, in an ordered list, you can't really remove one of the items,
particularly if the ordered list denotes a step-by-step process (such as "how
to get to the current page starting from the homepage").

At the end of the day, it's a judgement call...and discussing the finer points
of semantics in a markup language as coarse and unsuitable as HTML ends up
being a tad futile, in my humble opinion...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk