G'day

> Do the 'Bob-The-Office-Worker', and the 'Mary-The-Surfing-Homemaker' (or
vise-versa ;) ) types really know about this stuff?

Maybe not, but Bob-The-Office-Worker's Directors may have instructed the IT
department to cripple the browsers on all their employees' workstations.
They may also have set all the PC's to a common resolution of 800x600 at 256
colours.  I have been out of the regular workforce for nearly 4 years, but
in my last regular job we had just that scenario.   About 200 employees
around the country (with the exception of the IT department) had no control
over it.  Flash was also taboo, because animations worked very slowly (or
froze the terminals) with the setup they had.

Bottom line: use JavaScript, flash etc for embellishment if you want, but
make sure the site is "accessible" without it.

While I'm at it - hide CSS from browsers that belong in the museum (as an
exhibit, rather than a tool).  Nothing wrong with plain text if the document
is well structured (OK, graphics designers might disagree)

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
Better Web Design