Hi Tatham,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tatham Oddie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>; "'designer'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2004 12:03 PM
Subject: RE: [WSG] CSS alignment issues

> Bob,
> I really didn't want to use a table - otherwise I would have been able to
> say that there isn't a single table in the whole site. Now I'll just have
> talk about the sub-sites... Grr.
> Anyway, the code was a bit more complex than you posted as I had to center
> vertically the text and the block.
> I've updated the verion on http://www.e-oddie.com/ which works in IE, but
> not FF. I just can't seem to make that work. Must be having a complete
> blinder today - as I used to do everything with tables.
> Anyway, I'm telling all my users to get Firefox and I'm a Firefox user so
> need to work out this prob.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Tatham
---------------------------

After writing to you, I thought I'd better check out what I'd said [ :-) ]
so I knocked up this:

http://www.marscovista.fsnet.co.uk/gwelanmor/middle/centering.html

You can see how I've applied some 'content' with a background and some text,
the latter positioned with margins.  The CSS is embedded, for simplicity.
It works in FF, IE6, IE5.5, Opera  . . .

Until all the world becomes FF :-),  there <em>are</em> times when you just
HAVE to use a table, albeit a tiny one . . .

HTH a bit more.

Bob McClelland,
Cornwall (U.K.)
www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk