It is my understanding that Google doesn't parse or index .css files,
let alone test the whether the css modifies to HTML in a manner
designed to manipulate rankings.

Try it yourself. Try and find your own websites .css file indexed in
Google by searching on the full filename of the .css file.

However, as Andrew mentioned - the biggest risk of detection is human
detection and reporting.  Your competitors are the threat. Whether
Google acts on specific spam reports - that's the risk you can take.
Feeling Lucky?

:)

Best regards

Chris Dimmock