On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:26:26 -0000, Patrick Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I'm not sure what the rational for dropping the "start= " from <ol>
was, and at first glance it seems an odd thing to do. Like others have
mention, I can see cases where it would be useful - a results list
with
1,000 entry, for example, displaying 50 at a time.
But you've got to think in terms of a page - the first list item in a
page is still the first list item, regardless of where it comes in the
multi-page 1,000 results.

I think that's the point to add this information, that it IS a fragment of 1000-item list.

For me it's quite silly that you're supposed to make list *look* like
a fragment (css), but list is not allowed to *be* a fragment (xhtml).

There is a practical problem. How stylesheet is supposed to set initial value for a counter? <ul class="starts_at_11">?

<rant>
Oh, I just can't wait till CSS is extended to support this:
ul[start] {counter-reset: item attr(start);}
</rant>

-- regards, Kornel Lesiński