An old chestnut.

Standards badging is largely irrelevant to the client as they have no
knowledge of or likely interest in the delivery mechanisms and markup/coding
involved in development of a web presence. Neither too has the general
public. That's point 1: fair ignorance of development.

Since CSS, DTD markup compliance or WAI accessibility level badges are
simply markers to recommendations and not Kite marks (like Corgi for British
gas fitters, a recognised accreditation) they have no bearing on
accountability or fitness for purpose, and their adoption is, at best, an
indication that developers and, possibly, clients recognise best practice in
the industry. That's point 2: no accountability in law or to a peer group.

Where badging does kick in and I believe justifiably so is with
inter-industry peer pressure and as a prompt for unclued wannabe developers
to investigate further. A couple of years ago I had no idea what web
standards or accessibility were about; I now know better. Part of the
trigger was the use of badges on certain sites I happened upon.

To the initiated, badges are often looked upon with smug derision; we don't
need 'em cuz we're cool. Ivory tower syndrome. Don't get smug. I badge
because I want fledgling developers to ask questions of and be a party to
standards development. These are the guys we need to have commit to
standards-compliant accessible development, as we do their tutors in
educational establishments.

A top down approach to development, a commitment by governments to sanction
businesses who do not take 'reasonable efforts' to ensure their sites are
accessible is a welcome - though largely toothless - effort towards
recognising a moral requirement toward the rights of impaired web users. But
until these sanctions are imposed with a fervour, which they won't because
of the legal minefield involved when challenging *recommendations* not
development *standards* (and the woolliness of the legislation), it's
necessary to adopt a bottom up, critical mass approach.

Until we, as an industry, are accredited with an internationally recognised
set of development standards, which will mean formal exams toward formal
qualifications, the best we can expect is to have wannabe developers look to
us for guidance. That can start with a couple of badges on a site.

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer
Internet SEO and Marketing Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED]