-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bert Doorn
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:22 PM
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: [WSG] Standards compliant site, clients wants to make updates
themselves

I design sites to be standards compliant (usually XHTML1.0 Strict). This is
~supposed~ to make maintenance easier, and it is for me since I know what
I'm doing (or at least, I think I do)

However, I get many prospects who want to update sites themselves. In many
cases, these are very small businesses with just one or two people, none of
which have any idea about (x)HTML. Most of them have very small budgets, so
they can't afford a complete "CMS" type setup (and it's not the kind of
thing I can supply) and they tend to only want a small site (a few pages)
for next to nothing.

Is it just me, or is this a common dilemma? Apart from abandoning standards
compliance (not an option as far as I'm concerned), setting the site up in
HTML4.01 Transitional and letting amateurs wreak havoc with Micro$oft
<FONT>Plague, what options are there to design standards compliant sites,
letting clients maintain them and still stay within web standards?

Why not just offer to do it either on a contractual basis (x dollars for y
time per month) or a per item basis? The work is generally trivial.

drew