Jonathan Bloy wrote:

I like this approach and it is pretty much the one I take.  I should
mention that Web Design is more of a hobby for me.  So, I've only had a
few clients of my own.  But I wonder about the need to go into detail
with clients about web standards.

Hi,

I think you have to be able to read your clients to make this decision. Some clients need or want to be heavily involved in a project, while others just want the site up and running and they don't really care how you go about doing that.

I think web standards are important to mention and if the client asks
more about them you can certainly go into detail.  But does your plumber
or electrician go into long explanations about the standards they use
when they're working for you?  When I hire a professional I'm paying
them to use their knowledge and expertise to choose the best "standards"
that are right for the job, not to ask me what techniques I think they
should use.

Plumbers and electricians, are required by law to perform services to certain standards and to work within certain safety guidelines and regulations. Not doing so could jeopardize their business and lead to potential damage claims. Because my expertise in these areas is limited to turning on a light and taking a shower, I have to rely on the *credibility* of the professional I hire. Rather than research the techniques used to install a breaker box or fix a leaky pipe, I am forced to research the professionals reputation and rates and then make a decision based on that information--the task of which standard to use has already been established by persons far more qualified than myself. Unfortunately, the Web is a little less restrictive when it comes to "technique" and technique can vary greatly.

--
Best regards,
Michael Wilson