Richard, these are all good questions. The best thing to do as actually
observe real people (with disabilities) interacting with sites.

I have watched blind users and users with severe vision impairment who
become frustrated and leave sites very quickly. They are more likely to
struggle on if the information is very important or only available at one
particular site.

When David Woodbridge's was demonstrating a poorly built site to the WSG
last year he commented:
"I am doing this to demonstrate the problems. In real life I would never
really go this far into a site this bad, I would have left on the fist
page".

Think of it in other terms. If there was a shop with major physical barriers
(like being forced to climb a ladder just to get into the shop), and the
shop keeper was never available, would you hang around long? Compare that to
a shop nearby with easy access and friendly staff.

Russ