Further more (this rubbish by or about people justifying their inability to
do a job right really annoys me).

A person developing a website is expected to produce a product that serves
HTML or XHTML and through that some other files (images, stylesheets etc.)
to a browser. Lets just go with the HTML for now. Doesn't matter what
server-side scripting used or anything, just the output to the browser.

If that code is not valid HTML, then they simply haven't done their job.

Lets take an example kids. Russ loves to give me analogies so here's one
right back at you buddy.

We all know, at least vaguely, what written music looks like. There are 5
lines (and occasionally others briefly written above or below those) and
there are documented symbols for key, tempo and of course the notes.

Lets say we now draw 6 lines, don't put the key it's to be played in and
just use "x" to mark the notes instead of the correct symbols that denote
the duration of each note.

It's great... I can do it in an email as plain text.

--------------------------------------
--------------x-----------------------
    x       x
--x---x---x---------------------------
x       x          x  x
--------------------------------------

But it aint music!

The poor violinist trying to make sense of it is going to have a lot of
trouble interpreting it. They may decide to ignore the bottom line and try
to play each x as a note but they have no sense of the duration of the
notes, the key it was designed for or the speed at which they should play
it.

Yes standards are important. If that guy built a house, I wouldn't be buying
it.