On 4/20/05, Collin Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would argue that in a heartbeat - when you're talking about an
> architectural or otherwise design showcase site - what designer is going to
> give half a though to blind or visually impaired users?  Quite honestly, in
> a situation like this site... who cares about them? - it's not for people
> who are blind or visually impaired.

Wow.

That's one of the most ridiculously short-sighted things I've heard in
a long time... and no, I'm not apologising for the pun.

The designer that gives half a thought to blind or visually impaired
users is the one who will ultimately get more business, particularly
given the current shift in thinking towards a more inclusive
environment.

*particularly* in terms of buildings, fittings and gadgets.

Do you really think that people who are blind or visually impaired
don't care about design, about nice buildings, about cool gadgets?

I know people with sight problems who are fascinated by design - just
because it's more difficult to make such a visual medium accessible
doesn't mean that you can write off the people who can't access it,
just because your creativity only goes so far and you can't be
bothered stretching yourself to find interesting ways to make it
accessible that fit in with your "grand vision".

(and I use the word "your" in the collective sense, not you personally)

Do you really, honestly think that there aren't blind or visually
impaired people in charge of budgets who comission such things?

It's quite sad really. Every time I think that things are taking a
step forward in terms of inclusivity, I see stuff like this and
realise how far we have to go.

pix
http://www.pixeldiva.co.uk