Thierry Koblentz wrote:

I've found that using "id" instead of "name" for anchors (including a href
attribute) creates an accessibility issue since some browsers (at least
MSIE) find the location, but are unable to keep track of the link sequence
re: tabbing navigation.
I posted a message a while back about this, warning people that "skipnav"
links built this way are just *useless*.

I found that, even when using NAME, IE (particularly IE6/SP2 on WinXP/SP2) can exhibit this same behaviour of "forgetting" the right tab order. In fact, I just created a super simple page where my IE (version and OS as above) just does that http://dev.splintered.co.uk/IE_tab_order/.

And, in a weird twist, there are situations where, even using ID / fragment identifiers, IE gets it right (see for instance www.salford.ac.uk, where the second tab puts you on a 1x1 pixel skip link (I know, not ideal in itself, but this was done about 1 1/2 years ago)...following that link in IE (even IE 5) puts the next tab correctly (on the "order a prospectus" link top right, skipping all of the navigation). So, seems more like a complex bug in IE which depends on some unfathomable factors, rather than a problem purely with using IDs.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com