Kornel Lesinski wrote:
>> I'm not sure if CSS menus are really "accessible". IMHO, they lack a
>> "timer", browser support is weak and most of them do not allow
>> keyboard navigation.
>
> That's the same problem most JS menus have as well.

That may be true for the bad ones, but not for quality JS menus.
And I believe CSS offers no possibility re: a "timer". There are
workarounds, but they bring other issues.

>> On top of that, if not well implemented, they can be totally
>> inaccessible to IE users if scripts are disabled.

> JS-based menu will fail as well, and not only in IE, but in other
> browsers.

I don't really agree.
For example, the menu in my site is based on a projectseven's article.
AFAIK, it degrades nicely in old browsers or in the ones with no script
support.

> Having working, styled top-level items are IMHO best way such menu can
> degrade.
> Otherwise you may get something like few pages of unordered lists or
> spaghetti of links, which breaks page layout and isn't more usable.

That's why I mentionned vertical flyouts vs. horizontal ones

>> FWIW, I'd go with a "DHTML" solution that degrades nicely.
>
> But suckerfish dropdowns is DHTML solution that degrades nicely.

You know what I mean, the suckerfish technique is not "supposed" to be a
DHTML solution.
And it "degrades" *only* if the top level items are actual links, which
sometimes is not the wish of the designer.

> You can get best of both worlds - extend CSS menu to have features of
> best JS menu.
> Add class to menu and make :hover work only on menu with that class.
> Then using JS remove that class and add mouseover/mouseout/focus
> handlers that implement closing delay, keyboard navigation, etc.

We agree on this. I believe that's what "DHTML" is, a bit of CSS with more
JS ;-)

Thierry | http://www.TJKDesign.com