I've been fishing for an answer to this but I can't find one.

I know I've read somewhere in the past that if you want to change the color of a table row TR I need to use:

class='transparent' onmouseover="this.className='over';" onmouseout="this.className='transparent';"

I would certainly prefer to use something along the lines of (sans mouseoverout action):

        .transparent:hover
        {
                background: #ffff00;
        }

It certainly does work in modern browsers, but isn't there some issue with IE (per the usual) that prevents this route from being more commonly used? What are the limitations I need to be aware, etc...

The discussion about tables isn't relevant here...I'm using tabular data...ahem...

Thanks, v