Rimantas wrote:
[quote]
Only critical thing for the Web standards is understanding them
[/quote]

That is a short-term view. If you want Web standards to become mainstream, they
need to be transparent. Web standards need to be built-in to tools so that Web
designers and Web developers don't need to know anything about Web standards
and they produce standards-compliant Web sites. This is the prize we should be
working towards.

Rimantas wrote:
[quote]
Ian's article and fears is based on the way things work in the real life: oh,
let's try something cool, oh it breaks, to the hell with it, who cares.
[/quote]

Web standards should not be an exclusive club for those that do everything
right from the get go. We need to welcome everybody to the "club" who makes an
effort. And if they don't get it right the first time or the second time, that
is okay!

Rimantas wrote:
[quote]
And XHTML makes it much easier to shoot oneself in the foot.
[/quote]

"Shoot oneself in the foot" - you make it sound so life and death, so dramatic,
so finite. It's just markup not a day in the emergency room. This is exactly
the kind of sensational statements that hurt Web standards.

Rimantas wrote:
[quote]
HTML4 is a standard, you know
[/quote]

Yes, a bad standard. The moment you "author" (not serve-up) anything in HTML 4,
it becomes legacy data. Why? Because you cannot easily parse it. If you have a
Web site with 10,000 perfectly written HTML 4 documents, how are you going to
make changes to those documents en-mass? With XHTML or another XML vocabulary,
this task is trivial.

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xstandard.com
Standards-compliant XHTML WYSIWYG editor