XAML is a document definition language which doesnt rely on a browser. It is a
whole new technology which allows us to develop applications which are fed from
a server. There is no browser. IE doesn't even come into it.

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Jeroen Visser|vizi
Sent: Fri 15/07/2005 08:11
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Longhorn & Avalon - seismic shift for web standards?

On Jul 15, 2005, at 2:54 AM, Paul Ross wrote:

[From a PC mag article]

> "In a nutshell, Avalon means developers are now free to code without
> considering the resolution of users' monitors. This ensures that apps
> developed in this environment will work on just about any display,
> from mobile phones and PDAs to wide-screen notebooks and high-end
> desktop systems".

I would say that this statement is not the complete story. The
available canvas still is of interest to web developers and coders --
whether the OS works with pixels or Bezier curves. Basically, the
users' human factors, combined with the monitor's width, height and
resolution, determine how many menu items (or icons) will fit next to
eachother. A 23" widescreen display still would offer a lot more space
to organize content, branding and navigation than a typical handheld
device. Don't throw your dedicated handheld-optimized version out of
the window yet.

> What does all this mean for the web standards community? Am I reading
> too much into this by thinking this is a seismic shift in the way we
> could be building websites in the future? In particular - what are the
> implications in the XHTML/CSS path versus something like Flash?

If you want scalabale vector graphics online, I'd still go with Flash.
It'll take some time before a version of IE with the necessary
XHTML/SVG/CSS support has a strong enough user base to warrant a switch
from plugin to browser-only.

Jeroen

<<winmail.dat>>