We have tested sites with both different behaviours on users and in most
cases if the PDF would open in the same window the inexperienced users would
accidentally close the window and as a result lose the website they were
working with.

It seems to be already in the users' minds that a different page (e.g. PDF
file or a third-party website) will open in a new window. So, very often
without even thinking much about it they close the window once they are
done. And to lose your point in a website is very frustrating, in particular
for inexperienced users: they have to start all over again, open a new
browser window, might even have to search in Google for the site again and
find their prior position in your website.

I wish it was different and we could train the users to learn to use their
options, but I think this will be very difficult. Opening links in new
browser windows has been around for such a long time, most users have
learned to accept it as a standard and in fact rely on this happening.

So for my perspective: definitely open PDFs and other such documents in new
windows (allows modem users to stop the download at any time and prevents
users from accidentally closing their current website).

Cheers,

Andreas.