From: "Vicki Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Stevio wrote:
What is the best way to expand a left floated navigation column to
fill up the height of the available space?

I really like this script from Project Seven, which also keeps the footer
at the bottom of the viewport:

<http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm>

Like all PVII offerings, it works in all modern browsers.

Sometimes I think that somewhere along the way, things have become back to
front.

Let me offer a few quotes from the article Vicki gave the link for:

"If you create a 2-column table, and color one column red, and the other
blue, both columns will extend the full table height - regardless of the
content in either column." - a common design requirement.

"To Hack or to Script, that is the question" - in reference to using CSS for columns.

"If you want to lay out your page without tables and still have equal-height
columns, then you can use CSS hacks or Javascript."

The article gives some arguments against using tables (usual one of separating structure from presentation), when logic would suggest from the above quotes that using tables would make a lot of sense. Can someone give me a good real life example however, of when using a simple 2 column table with 1 row would actually cause anyone any problems?

What is wrong with using a simple 1 row 2 column table to layout a web page
when using DIVs and CSS requires hacks and JavaScript to work in the way
required?

Why is using CSS in this case the better of two evils? Surely we are abusing CSS in just the same way we are abusing tables?

Please remind me as I find myself wasting so much time with CSS design hacks when table design is so much quicker. I have been doing CSS and XHTML for a while too before you ask! I'm sure other people constantly have to look about to find the right hack for the particular problem they are facing.

Thanks,
Stephen