Hi,

Just to put the cat amongst the peigons - some of the points raised are valid IMHO.
and by the by so is the mark up. I think he is off mark on the use of styles

"My position is about temperance" - moderation

"‘reality in the field’ and not some ivory-tower specification" - the reality and work arounds required to compensate for differences in implementation
CSS Hacks for example

The Web Standards have yet to be properly implemented in the majority of the browsers BEING USED - namely Internet Explorer this is partly why I dub IE inferior explorer, naughty-scape a fraise I seldom use since netscape 4.X is a beast rarely encountered in the wild

Since when are using Floats for page-level layout, semantically correct?
I disagree with him here, since floating is applied by style and is separate from content
I think this is a contracdiction since previouly

To not use CSS - rather I am saying to use it when it makes sense…
and in the case of floating to style the layout I would say that this is appropriate use of style - using it here "makes sense"

his contracdiction continues
"margins... to create page-level layouts. Again, like floats, this is semantically incorrect, just like HTML tables" the point of style - the junk/old skool use is shims / transparent gif - I don't like such sites even when I make 'em

Some times designers can procrastinate & pontificate over semantics (and many other things) delaying the sites completion
inflating the cost.

Rob Wilson <http://www.websitesinbusiness.co.uk> Says:
September 26th, 2005 at 3:52 am <http://www.killersites.com/blog/2005/silly-nerds-the-web-standards-are-for-browsers/#comment-33>

The real point lost in the standards debate is that everyone just wants things to work properly and consistently.

my clients do, I do, visitors to sites I make do

Mac IE such a pain, with standards css layouts - Hacks ahoy me lad!

Win IE - what a pain

Producing visual consistantly is a long road with tables+shims

Using CSS I find things always crop up. odd spaces here and there - a short road, can become a long road.

Marco <http://www.i-marco.nl/weblog/> Says:
September 26th, 2005 at 4:56 am <http://www.killersites.com/blog/2005/silly-nerds-the-web-standards-are-for-browsers/#comment-34>

- lighter in amount of code
- easy to read on other devices than PC’s with browsers
- more accessible
- much better search engine optimized from the ground up

I agree with this also, its a pain when formating gone bad in a browser often IE Mac/Win

Rooting out the problem in the CSS to hack compliance is tedious & stressful client wants it done yesterday

Joshua Street <http://www.joahua.com/blog/> Says:
September 26th, 2005 at 5:05 am <http://www.killersites.com/blog/2005/silly-nerds-the-web-standards-are-for-browsers/#comment-35>

CSS bears no meaning, it’s just a presentational hook

explains where he is off base on the CSS - its the hack thats madness and often more tricky than table + shims

Clients see competitiors sites with tables and when they see them on any browser they are consistent (sometimes consistantly bad!! IMHO but consistent

Stefan Mischook <http://www.killersites.com> Says:
September 26th, 2005 at 10:47 am <http://www.killersites.com/blog/2005/silly-nerds-the-web-standards-are-for-browsers/#comment-43>

*What is broken (in a pratical sense,) with the Web Standards?*

1. 60% to 80% of the browsers being used are buggy when it comes to CSSP techniques we have to use. 2. The model for positioning with CSS is now weak. I can’t wait for the CSS3 multi-column spec <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/>to come of age.

but browser uptake will be somewhere behind. and putting a message for users this site looks better in a standards compliant browser is just as annnoying (to the user & in turn the site owner) as this site looks better in ie

since this is a discussion list I thought we might discuss the points

atb - Sam

Herrod, Lisa wrote:

I think he's really just trying to stir up something controversial and
attract people to his site.

Surely anyone who was really serious about their own reputation and business
would actually think about what they were saying, and research their
point(less) before posting it... wouldn't they?