Hope Stewart said:
> With all sites I've worked on, I'd say that the company logo falls into
> this presentational category. But I wasn't aware of this concept for my
> first few sites, so I have some sites where the company logo is part of
> the html and others where it is part of the css.

Coca-cola, Marlboro, Lucky Strike, BP, Mobil? (OK, so I watched motor
sport in the weekend) All of these companies are in the business of
branding commodity products... I doubt anyone can successfully argue that
these company logo's are decoration, tho they might try.

But back to the point at hand. I always go for getting acutal content to
the user above anything else. Why? because odds are that either the user
already knows the company, or the user wants to know what the company has
to say about themselves. The logo may add credibility, or help build
trust, but displaying the logo is not the primary purpose of the page.

As an aside, I thought I'd share a technique I've used that encompasses
both techniques of hard coding and image replacement.

What I have done in the past is hard coded the logo for use with the print
stylesheet (logo-on-white) and used image replacement techniques for use
onscreen (logo-on-full-color) -- this avoids a bug in early Safari builds
which did not download background images for the print style sheet that
did not appear onscreen.

kind regards
Terrence Wood