1) Is it acceptable to go live with a layout that doesn't work with either
of these two browsers? (I notice that a number of prominent web standardista
websites have done so)

Define "doesn't work"? [I don't have those browsers to hand]

If it "doesn't work" in the sense that some of the content is invisible or illegible, links aren't clickable etc, then I don't think I'd say it was acceptable.

If, on the other hand, it just doesn't look as intended, and you've got valid standards HTML, then your conscience is clear. Fix the display in those browsers if and when you can.
               "Have You Validated Your Code?"
John Horner                            (+612 / 02) 8333 3488
Developer, ABC Kids Online            http://www.abc.net.au/