I don't think they are compulsary. Just think of the exmaple when adding a
Label *behind* a form element (e.g. after radio buttons or textboxes). You
woulnd't put a colon in there, would you? Sometimes its nice to have, but I
don't think anybody will complain if you don't as long as the visual
relationship between label and element are clear.