Hi All
I'm working on a project in its initial stages and thought about using a
simple background image to create flexible columns. Here's a sketch:

               |                  |
               |                  |
               |                  |
               |                  |

Sounds simple enough?  However, I'd like the columns to be flexible. So, my
first thought was to create two background images, one for the right and one
for the left and apply them to the div and another element. But that doesn't
sound like the best idea, I still need them to vary their distances.  Here's
my next idea: create a single background image of a line. Apply it as the
background with a style like this:
#targeted-div {background: url(line.gif} 33% 0 repeat-y;}
and just for simplicity
#inner-div {background: url(line.gif} 66% 0 repeat-y;}

I'd try this out right now, but I'm editor less at this moment.

Has anyone tried something like this? Do you have any suggestions?  Wouldn't
it be nice if we could use the new CSS properties for multiple backgrounds?

Thanks
Ted
www.tdrake.net