Try some of these books:
Designing with Web Standards (Jeffrey Zeldman)
Web Standards Solutions (Dan Cederholm)
Bullet Proof Web Design (Dan Cederholm)
Designing without Tables using CSS (Dan Shafer)

You can google all those.

As far as a Graphic Designer having a good background on tableless
layouts, I'm not sure that's something to be looking for. If the guy
is a great designer, then he's a great designer. It's generally up to
the developer to mark it up correctly. It's also up to developers to
synch up with the designer so they're on the same page come transition
time.

- Dustin Diaz