My sentiments exactly.

But then what is the most accessible, most practical solution for allowing the user to change the font size of your site?

Options include:
- writing accessible, standards friendly code that can easily be either magnified or increased in size by the browser
- providing a button on your pages to increase text size
- having a preferences page available on your pages where they can select several different presentation options. (such as stopdesign, http://stopdesign.com/about/prefs/)
- providing a (possibly unwieldy) large pair of buttons on every page, saying "MAKE THIS TEXT BIGGER" and "make this text smaller".

I suppose, like many 'how far do we take this' accessibility concepts, it is a case by case, audience by audience basis.
For most of my sites, i would probably settle for the first option i listed.
If i was writing a site where i knew my audience would have a large number of vision impaired readers, and i have no assumed knowledge on their part, i would probably go for a little slider option:

[little]A[/little]-|----[big]A[/big]

...so that the further you move to the bigger 'A', the bigger the site's text is. Of course this wouldn't cater to other possible customisations like high contrast, single column, or anything else.

--a--