On 21 Nov 2005, at 8:33 pm, Andy Budd wrote:

One of my annoyances with Opera is that it calculates the "shrink-to-fit" width of absolutely positioned elements to be the minimum width, basically adding a break after each word. I wanted to write about how annoying this was, but thought I'd better check the specs first, just in case it was actually right.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#the-width-property

First, which version of Opera are you testing ?
Second, what kind of content goes into that absolute positioned element ?

If I put an element with just some static text in, Opera 7.5 - 9 prev display the same as Firefox (1.6a1 nightly), Camino (1.0b), iCab, Safari 1.2+. However, add a floated block in there, and then Opera is a bit more aggressive.[1] Put multiple floated blocks in the AP element, and Opera 7 behaves differently from others. That was a know bug in that version (not limited to AP elements, btw).

The spec doesn't specify exactly what should happen;  here is the key:
<quote> CSS 2.1 does not define the exact algorithm</quote>

What exactly is a line break ? Does the end of a *floated* span constitute a line break in this context ?

And if you start to play with more complex constructions, the differences between all (decent) browser increase, see [2] as one example.

[1] http://dev.l-c-n.com/_temp/AP-shrink-to-fit.php
[2] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/100307.html

Philippe
---