On 11/23/2005 10:16 AM Chris Kennon wrote:
Happy Holidays All,

When between projects, practice is the order of the day, as "mastery" in this field is a fallacy. However, it simply seems counter-productive laying out sites that will not be used for personal or commercial gain.

This belief begs the question how does one effectively practice CSS? Should I continue creating scenarios and templates, or can some knowledgeable member share practice methodologies?

Consider pro bono work for charitable or non-profit organizations. I've done dozens of sites for churches, political candidates, neighborhood associations, amateur sports teams, political interest groups and so on.

They always appreciate the help (especially if you include a way for them to update the content), you get to sharpen your tools and try out new techniques with less pressure. And feel good about yourself, help the planet....

I recommend thinking hard before doing free work for organizations with paid staff--after all, if they can afford to pay people they should pay you--but I sometimes do if I support the cause enough or if the organization is very small (a small church, for instance).
--
Steve Clason
Web Design and Development