Thankyou for correcting my terminology.

Text-indent. That's just what I need! Thankyou Lachlan, its a much better solution.

Stuart

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

Stuart Sherwood wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the menu uses CSS Sprit rollovers so there are no images
in the markup, therefore no alt tags.

They're *attributes*, not tags, please learn the correct terminology.

Title tags are irrelevant for accessibility?

No, they're not irrelevant, but they need to be used appropriately and cannot be depended upon for giving information to the user.

Put the text inside the a element and use CSS to hide it. There are still some accessibility problems with this method, but until more UAs support the 'content' property on any element, there's not much you can do about it.

try something like this:

a { background: ...; text-indent: -2000px; text-decoration: none; }

Look up image replacement techniques for more alternatives.