accessibility is an optional extra or it's the usual "yeah, everything
we do is accessible". You know it isn't.

Not neccessarily. If the producer is working with standards and approaching his task responsively, it should be included in his "best practise".

Micro-perfection of HTML tags
and solid CSS design across even the most stubborn of browsers is not
financially viable for the majority of the website market.

I also don't agree, I think it's a myth that well structured, usable and accessible web sites are (more) expensive. Due to the text above. Only those developers, that treat clients with some specific needs they can't achieve as experimentees to learn it, bill the clients more to learn it themselves.

IMHO.

--
Jan Brasna aka JohnyB :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com