G'day

Dollars and cents is the language that will convince most, if not all,
sceptics.

The problem I face in that regard is that a lot of sales enquiries I get are from people who want to maintain their own site, for next to nothing.

They don't want to spend money on a content management system (which is overkill anyway, if the updates are few and far between). Many think they can maintain a site with Frontpage, which, after all, is relatively cheap. I can't help them, unless I throw standards compliance out the door.

As far as (server) bandwidth is concerned, it only matters for big sites with a lot of traffic, or sites with a host that provides a ridiculously low quota.

When it comes to search engines, can anyone prove that lean code is better? Has anyone done research on this claim? Google is full of tagsoup sites that are highly ranked.

I searched for "web design" in Google (pages from Australia only). The top 3 (non sponsored) sites used tables for layout, none of them validated and only one had a doctype. They all used some CSS but only in addition to the tagsoup.

So where are the benefits?

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design