> okay, hi everyone:  a short question, i intend it to be, at least.
> is "i" (italic) deprecated in xhtml?  and even better, could someone
> point me to a w3c page that talks about what is deprecated in xhtml?
> and, second part of that, why does the validator validate it if it is
> deprecated.

A good quote by Ian Hickson:
"<b> and <i> are technically not deprecated, but the style of markup that
would use them, namely presentation-orientated markup, is discouraged in
are appropriate elements. This is a matter for debate on another list."
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/27958

Within font style elements (TT, I, B, BIG, SMALL, STRIKE, S, and U), the
following are deprecated:
STRIKE and S: Deprecated. Render strike-through style text.
U: Deprecated. Renders underlined text.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/graphics.html

A chart showing all deprecated elements (see column with "D"):
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html

The <i> element is still available in the XHTML 1.1 presentation module:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_presentati
onmodule

Definition of deprecated (for those who haven't come across it before):
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/conform.html#deprecated

HTH
Russ