I'm not trying to center, the issue is height and more correctly height which expands to fit content of nested divs and probably even more correctly a box with columns in it which expands all columns to be equal in height to the one with the most content.

Bob Schwartz

Couldn't  the "if floated" solution be considered a hack? :-}

It is starting to sound as if my reasons for using one table
once-and-
awhile are still valid and that there are still some height issues
with divs.

If you're floating or absolutely positioning things, a table cell
won't help you either. Are you just after an equivalent of

which would equate to something like

div#container { text-align: center; } /* for IE */
div#container whatever { margin: 0 auto; width: whatever; text- align: left; )

?

As aleady noted on this thread, centering does not necessarily
need floating in a CSS world...

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk