Hi Emma,

I'd like to tackle your question. Yes, you can consider a table a container. However, in HTML a table contains tabular data, not other tables, not layout. HTML was designed by scientists, for whom tables of data were of utmost importance. It was a perversion of the language to use them for layout. Unfortunately, IMHO, designers were not part of the team developing HTML, so that presentation was given low priority. Allowing the mess that's call tag soup to develop.

If the Web were only a visual medium, this wouldn't be too bad. But, one of the wonderful things about the Web is that it's a great equalizer--allowing disabled, abled, low bandwidth, high bandwith, etc. users to use it and gain information, develop networks, buy, sell, learn, teach, etc.

So, in order to help the Web grow more and more useful, separate your content and presentation. That way, everyone can access your pages. That means, use tables as intended, for tabular data. Now, in my book, tabular data includes text, when presented in tabular form (with columns and rows, column heads and row heads).

And use css to position, colour, define your text, images, etc. That's css-driven. As opposed to using tables for positioning and css for basic font styling. CSS can do everything I just mentioned (within browser limitations).

Best regards,

Marilyn Langfeld
Langfeldesigns
http://www.langfeldesigns.com