From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kat
Sent: Tuesday, 20 December 2005 10:19 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] webpatterns and patternquiz

> In a nutshell, a pattern is a "a problem which occurs over and over
> again . and . the core of the solution to that problem". When we build
> sites, unconsciously we use patterns all the time - it's just very
> little work has been done trying to capture and document them.
> That's what I've started http://webpatterns.org to do.
>
>  I've started with site level patterns.
>
> I'm really interested in the thoughts of all developers about the
> patterns which we use, so if you have a moment please come along, and
> contribute your thoughts and experience

Gday,

Keep in mind I am just a student, but isn't something that describes it at
site level more a framework rather than a pattern?

 From Wikipedia "A design pattern isn't a finished design that can be
transformed directly into code
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_%28computer_programming%29>; it is a
description or template for how to solve a problem that can be used in many
different situations. ".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_pattern_%28computer_science%29

Isn't a pattern usually a description of how to solve generic complex
issues, such as dynamic binding?

But an academic course page can't be used in a e-commerce store. It's quite
specific for a particular area.

Again from Wikipedia, "a Framework can be considered as the processes and
technologies used to solve a complex issue. It is the skeleton upon which
various objects are integrated for a given solution."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Software+framework

So the description for the academic course page is more skeleton like which
allowed integration with other various objects, and thus more framelike?

Point out to me where I have gone wrong.

Kat