Those coders that are knowingly writing invalid code (be it a "trade off" or
sheer laziness) should be honest with themselves and stop trying to kid their
viewers. Not only are you (like Nic said) weakening the value of the button for
everyone but you will likely be found out (and to me - that would do more harm
than good - it's not worth it).

On a personal note: I removed my [XHML] [CSS] links from my "Blogger" hosted
blog. Now these were never the W3C buttons (just text links), but I linked to
the validator, which was showing "invalid" due to the invalid code that
"Blogger" was inserting into my otherwise valid template

--
Rowan