Rimantas Liubertas wrote:
As for omitting mime type from meta element and leaving only charset
info... This might work
only in text/html context, in which such omission makes no sense.

Although I suspect it will work just fine in most, if not all modern browsers, that doesn't make it right. In fact, I read somewhere a long time ago that some browsers (NN4, I think) will accept something like.

Of course, that is completely wrong and should not be used at all.

When used in combination with the http-equiv attribute, the value of the content attribute must match the syntax of the equivalent value in HTTP headers. It is, however, better to use real HTTP headers instead of the inferior meta element substitute.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/