Hi there,

> I've been on this list since returning from WE05 in Sydney last October,
> hoping that the same feeling of sharing and openness would prevail. It does
> to a certain extent, but the few glaring exceptions have tended to put me
> off posting to the list.

I doubt an email list could ever quite reproduce WE05 :)

> Some people write as if there were a club, a them and us, people who get it
> and people who don't, and never the twain shall meet.

There are plenty out there that feel it's "us and them, those meddling
standards people" so occasionally people display a bit of a bunkered
mentality.

I think people are really taking exception to developers who *know*
about standards, but are actively hostile to anyone who wants to use
them.

> I remember at WE05
> Molly Holzschlag asking us what we called ourselves, and there were some
> very diverse answers (my favourite was "the guy who does stuff"). Elsewhere
> (on Flickr) I've seen her reminding us that lots of us are good at
> different aspects of what we do and together we make a good team. I'd like
> to think that this web standards community is a team, not a club where only
> some of us are "truly" web professionals.

That's true and it was a wonderful keynote (I'm "web standards
developer" ;)), but a few weeks later Molly also reminded us that web
developers have to be open to learning new things -
http://www.molly.com/2005/11/14/web-standards-and-the-new-professionalism/

It's a balance, I guess. We can't be too passive or nothing gets done;
we can't be too aggressive or people just bunker up.

cheers,

--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson