From: "Paul Novitski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If a web designer further distinguished between links that jump within a page vs. those that load a new page, would that obviate your objection?

It would mitigate it. I find it easier to tolerate a FAQ or Q/A thing if it's apparent that all of the questions are links to answers far down the page. So if I see a compact list of 20 questions and a long scrollbar, I'm prepared for the page to scroll when I click a link.

In other words, is the problem the mixture of link types leading to frustrations of expectation, or is the problem with the local link itself?

It's more an issue of mixing the link types.

--
Al Sparber
PVII

"Designing with CSS is sometimes like barreling down a crumbling mountain road at 90 miles per hour secure in the knowledge that repairs are scheduled for next Tuesday".