Herrod, Lisa wrote:
Lachlan Hunt wrote:
The users!  Please, won't somebody think of the *users*!

This line reminds me of something from my favourite show when I was a kid:
Fantasy Island. "the plane, the plane!" :)

Actually, it's a slightly misquoted line from Helen Lovejoy in the The Simpsons: "Won't somebody _please_ think of the children??"

Every site is different, every user is different, every demographic varies from the last.
Don't assume anything... whether or not it's best practice.

Which is exactly why I make no assumptions about the user's browsing environment or preferences, and I don't attempt to force new windows upon them which they may or may not want - they are free to do as they please, without interference.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/