Terrence Wood wrote:
James Hunter:
Is it appropriate to use the breadcrumb as the H1 element?

I'm thinking out aloud here: not sure why, but using a list for breadcrumbs doesn't quite sit right with me, despite it being a type of navigation device. I think it is due to list structures replacing the <dir> and <menu> elements - and the notion that the site hierarchy represented as links is distinctly different from a navigation menu. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Based on that idea wouldn't it make sense to do something like:

<ul>
 <li>Main Site Parent</li>
  <ul>
   <li>Section Parent</li>
    <ul>
     <li>Document Parent</li>
      <ul>
      <li>Current Document</li>
      </ul>
    </ul>
   </ul>
</ul>

Provided your head doesn't explode nesting the lists it gives you a nice hierarchical structure for the list that looks great with no styles. You could then style the child <li> elements to have the less than symbols as the list bullet?

Any thoughts?

--
Jay Gilmore
Developer / Consultant