This is really interesting article in that it contradicts findings of a
recent study we completed just 2 weeks ago.

We recently conducted user testing on a site with 22 participants, which is
a significant sample (often we test with 8 to 12).

The demographic was 18 skilled workers and 4 employers of skilled workers.
Balance of gender, spread of age and technical ability (novice to expert).

We received very positive feedback from the users about in-page links, so
much so that it was reported as a positive attribute of the site. In fact,
about 25% commented that they liked these links, without being asked.

Lisa