On 3/13/06, Jay Gilmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have also read (no personal first hand knowledge) that there can be
> issues between using DOM/DHTML scripts and XHTML. I don't know what
> these issues are but why invite trouble.

This arises from non-DOM methods, which are often much simpler to
implement (and faster in terms of performance), such as innerHTML [1]
(and document.write, but we won't go there). I *think* this is because
innerHTML/outerHTML/document.write and their kin leave the XML tree
alone -- any elements in the inserted content _aren't_ created as
elements, and hence cannot be manipulated at all. (That aside, I don't
really see anything wrong with this [innerHTML] -- we must remember
that XMLHttpRequest object is also proprietary!)

Obviously if you do this with an XML document then you wind up with
un-parsed structure (it renders, but it's not part of the tree), which
can mean problems. Apparently Firefox 1.5 copes okay with this,
somehow.

Josh

1.http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html